Monday, May 31, 2010

Spring is so Very Delicious

I wish you could have seen Jason and me wandering through the strawberry patch as the strawberries first started to ripen. The mostly white-green berries with just a little red blush tint were taunting us and we searched in frustration for the first ripe berry of spring. Well... the moments dragged on and the disappointment crept in... until we found that one beautiful red berry. Well it's pretty funny trying to share one strawberry that's less than the size of a quarter-but we did. And now... a few days later we're sharing hat-fuls of beautiful red berries!
Hooray for Spring and all the delicious treats it brings with it! Rhubarb season has been upon us for a few weeks now and we just can't seem to get enough strawberry-rhubarb treats. I've baked pie, crisp, crunch and they never last long enough. Great-grandma's rhubarb recipes have stood the test of time and our luck restaurant patrons have been enjoying the amazing fruits of spring.
One of my favorite days of the week is when Jason checks on the bees; it means tasty samples for me. Sometimes the bees start building honeycomb inside the hive box in inconvenient places (inconvenient for us not them) and that honeycomb needs to be removed. You'd be hard pressed to find something sweeter than fresh honey. And for those of you who put stock in herbal remedies; its good for building up tolerance against those nasty spring-time allergies. Yay!

3 comments:

  1. Here it is September 14 and I am revisiting! I want to comment now since I read no comments here. I want you to know I think the pictures are amazing and the blog is so much fun to read! Thank you for sharing. You are living the dream and I am so happy for you!

    P.S. I want strawberry season back! Look at those beauties!
    P. S. S. Can't wait to see you and visit McClure's the first Saturday in October!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my! I just noticed. I believe those beauties are in Jason's hat (shirt & jeans)!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I wanted to say we just discovered you all! We moved into the area (kokomo) back in February from Alaska and have been trying to find local orchards, farmer's markets/co-ops, etc.

    We haven't stopped by as we were on our way to/from the regional marching band competition in Chesterton when we discovered you all. I can't wait to drop by some time soon as we seriously miss fresh apples.

    Are you still considering the possible formation of a "co-op" or something similar? I have a ton of questions but will wait until we drop by so that you are not overwhelmed with them!

    Keep up the great work! Can't wait to stop by!

    ReplyDelete